Spate of petty thefts at St Hugh’s

first_imgA series of pidge thefts at St Hugh’s has put students and staff on alert over the past week. Multiple instances have seen items being stolen from pidges and people’s belongings going missing in college.Venkat Kondragunta, the college’s JCR President, told Cherwell, “There has been a small increase in the past few weeks of informal, word-of-mouth complaints about students’ personal belongings going missing in college. This is obviously unacceptable if it turns out to be more than just ‘they used some of my milk for a cup of tea’.“We have set up a formal procedure of reporting such incidences in the hope of gauging the extent of the issue.” Kondragunta added that the JCR is currently liaising with college staff to prevent further thefts.The Swan, the St Hugh’s JCR newspaper, has run an announcement informing students of the procedure for reporting thefts.In a statement to Cherwell, a spokesperson for St Hugh’s said, “As a community we take any report of theft seriously, and the College, JCR and MCR work closely together to investigate and resolve any such reports.”Theodora Bradbury, a student at St Hugh’s, stated, “The general feeling in the JCR is disgruntlement; we have had quite a bit of food theft as well recently so people are a bit upset.“That said,” she continued, “as the Vice President said that only one person has officially reported a theft to her so far, and between the lack of reporting and difficulty of knowing whether something’s been taken from your pidge or just got lost in the post, it’s uncertain as to whether we can really take useful action to deal with the issue.”St Hugh’s has previously experienced some petty theft. Large amounts of food were stolen from the residence’s kitchens in Michaelmas, term which led to intervention from the college.last_img read more

admin

From Mets to Meh: Coping with World Series Withdrawal

first_imgView image | gettyimages.comFor millions of Mets fans, it’s been a week without baseball. A cold, bleak week in November. That sentence alone sounds incongruous, but it’s worth noting because it’s so different from the norm.Now we must rejoin the regularly scheduled sporting events in progress and let our memories of this amazing season fade away.But not so fast. Hold on a little longer.Game 5 of the 2015 World Series started Nov. 1 and lasted 12 innings before the Royals celebrated their 7-2 win at Citi Field late Sunday night and into early Monday morning. Even Yogi would have to concede that it was finally, irrevocably over.If only the Mets could have, would have, should have…you get the idea. What we’d give to have had them play one more game—hell, let’s be honest—two more games, even if it meant they’d be going to Kansas City.It’s been 15 years since the Mets had played any World Series games, and considering how improbable this prospect looked back in July when the team was playing so pitifully, it’s almost a miracle they got this far. It’s understandable we’d still want to be obsessed with the “what ifs” because it was such a great, wild ride.Let’s imagine if that slow chopper had just bounced a little higher and landed smack dab right into Daniel Murphy’s glove instead of pulling a Bill Buckner behind second base and scooting into right field in Game 4. Or if Lucas Duda’s throw from first base had been a little more on target so Travis d’Arnaud could have caught it at home plate and tagged out the Royals Eric Hosmer before he could score the tying run in the ninth inning in Game 5. Or, for that matter, what if Terry Collins hadn’t let Matt Harvey jawbone his way back to the mound when the manager originally intended to have closer Jeurys Familia come on in relief.In that fateful encounter, the Dark Knight faced two batters with a 2-0 lead and did not record an out. He gave up a leadoff walk to KC’s Lorrenzo Cain and a double to Hosmer. Far from his usual m.o.But now, Harvey won’t be pitching until next year. So it goes. Certainly he could use the rest, since he pitched 216 total innings—the most any pitcher ever threw in one season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, according to ESPN.To his credit, Collins took the blame for trusting his heart, not his mind, and letting Harvey try for the shutout. If it had worked out that night, who knows what would have happened next?That both men were still wearing Mets uniforms in November was also remarkable. In June, rumors in the clubhouse had Collins about to be let go because the team sucked so—he hadn’t had a winning season in four years—and his fifth one looked like it was on track to be just as bad. But last Wednesday, Collins signed a two-year contract extension, making him the oldest manager still on duty in an MLB dugout, come next spring.Harvey, or really his agent Scott Boras, had created a stir in September by saying that the ace client should save his golden arm for next year and adhere to a strict innings limit, playoffs or not. All we can say now is that we’re glad Harvey didn’t listen to Boras then, but we sure wish he’d let Collins keep him out of just one more inning—his last.How glorious it was that David Wright was still playing in November, considering how much pain he’d undergone with his spinal stenosis and other physical issues that had sidelined him for months. But there he was in Game 3, hitting a key home run in the World Series—the first of his career—and helping the Mets beat the Royals to prevent a sweep.Everybody has their favorite moments of the Series, of the season. The best of times, and the worst. Daniel Murphy embodied both—his playoff home-run record and his egregious errors. I always enjoyed watching him discuss pitch location with the umps. I’m also grateful that center-fielder Yoenis Cespedes became such a catalyst when the team looked lost before the last-minute trade that brought him here, and I’m very happy that Michael Conforto left the Double-A Mets in Binghamton to join the Major League Mets in Queens. And who will ever forget Wilmer Flores and the tears he shed to stay?Let all those memories and more fill the wintry months to come before pitchers and catchers report to spring training. Because now we Mets fans can say, “Wait ‘til next year!” without fear or loathing. In fact, we can shout it out loud, “Bring it on!” Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York last_img read more

admin

Tony’s Italian Grill decides to close temporarily after employee tests for virus

first_imgENDICOTT (WBNG) — Tony’s Italian Grill says it will close its doors due to an employee testing positive for COVID-19. The health department did not send a public health statement to 12 News. As a result, Tony’s says it will be closed until July 26 out of an abundance of caution. The restaurant says the employee received their test results Sunday evening and the last time the employee worked was July 13. As of Monday afternoon, the restaurant says it has not heard anything about the positive case from the Broome County Health Department but alerted the public itself to “offer transparency.”last_img

admin

Women nabbed for ‘illegal gambling’

first_imgBacolod City – Police nabbed two women for illegal gambling in BarangayUbay, Pulupandan, Negros Occidental. Tagged suspects were 31-year-old AizaMarie Diabor and 49-year-old Carmen Alba, a police report showed. Diabor and Alba were caught playing“bug-oy” on Jan. 15, the report added. Recovered from their possession wasP545 bet money, police said. The suspects were detained in thelockup cell of the Pulupandan municipal police station, facing charges forviolation of Presidential Decree 1602, which prescribes stiffer penalties onillegal gambling./PNlast_img

admin