Kabul bomb kills eight South Africans

first_img18 September 2012 The Department of International Relations and Cooperation has confirmed that eight South Africans were among 12 people killed in a suicide bombing in the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday morning, apparently in retaliation for an anti-Islam film made privately in the US and posted on the internet last week. Speaking to eNews Channel Africa around midday on Tuesday, the department’s spokesperson, Nelson Kgwete, said few details were known at this stage as officials were still making calls and gathering information. “As I’m speaking to you, the officials from my department are busy on calls to confirm other details,” Kgwete said. He said the department wished to express its sincere condolences to the families of the victims, adding that necessary assistance would be rendered to families and friends. A suicide bomber reportedly rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a minibus carrying foreign staff of a local company on Tuesday morning, killing eight foreigners and a local driver. Three passers-by were also killed and two security officials were injured by the bombing that took place along the main road, leading to the airport in Kabul’s sub-district 15. Kgwete said the department was busy working with officials in Afghanistan to verify the names of the deceased. He could not disclose the identities until their next-of-kin had been informed. “We are working with authorities and as soon as all the processes have been completed, we will prepare for the repatriation of the bodies.” Xinhua news agency reported that several buildings and wedding halls near the site were also damaged by the blast. The government troops immediately cordoned off the area shortly after the blast. Meanwhile, it is believed that Hizb-i-Islami, the second largest insurgent group in Afghanistan, has claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesperson with Hizb-i-Islami, with Gulbuddin Hakmatyar as its leader, told local media via phone that a woman suicide bomber of the group had targeted and killed nine foreigners, allegedly in retaliation for an anti-Islam film made privately in the US and posted on the internet last week. Source: SANews.gov.za-Xinhualast_img read more

admin

Ohio Ag Weather and Forecast, January 9, 2019

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Drier weather moves in behind the front for today, tomorrow and Friday. We expect a mix of clouds and sun and colder temps, but generally, we still stay near normal on temperatures. That just will feel significantly colder than what we just got done with to start this week Models still are all over the place for Saturday, but we are going to keep snow in our thoughts over most of the state. Right now, we see snow moving into far western Indiana and NW Indiana overnight Friday night, and that should put our starting point here in Ohio around sunrise or even mid morning on Saturday. From there, snow lingers through Sunday. Combined, we could be looking at 1-3 inches in many areas, and some 4 inch totals cant be ruled out. The map at right shows some guidance, but we will not be putting out our official snow totals until Friday morning, as track is just too much of a variable at this time. We will be keeping an eye on south central Ohio, near the River, where we do have some minor concern about a mix of rain and wet snow , or even some freezing rain. However, freezing temps make it almost to the Ohio river, so snow is the most likely precipitation type at this time for 90% of the state. Usually, it is a very fine line from these kinds of events going rain/freezing rain or moderate to heavy snow…so stay tuned for updates on southern Ohio. Dry weather returns for the first half of next week. High pressure dominates on Monday. As it moves off to the east, south winds should redevelop and moderate temperatures by midweek. This south flow will also come ahead of our next system, which arrives on Thursday. Temps moderate just enough to allow for a mixed bag of precipitation through the day. We look for a rain-sleet-snow mix across the state. The good news is, that liquid equivalent precipitation will be limited to a few hundredths to .3” over 80% of the state. The bad news is, we have no clue as to what type will fall where, except the southern third of the state should lean mostly toward rain. This event will come down to track, and where the cold air stays stubborn. Friday goes dry again to finish next week. There is still some rain to start the extended 11-16 day forecast period, but right now it looks like it may be trending a bit farther south. We will dial coverage back to about 60% of the state right now, because there likely will be some areas that get missed, but we are not waving the all clear flag yet. The best moisture is in for Saturday the 19th. There still is the potential for that event to end as snow, as cold air blasts in behind.  From there we remain cold with snow and flurries possible for the 22nd – 23rd – 24th. We become very cold through that period and should see our first foray in a while to well below normal temperature levels.last_img read more

admin

Cycling: Chris Froome under fire over ‘cheating’ jersey

first_imgGreat Britain’s Christopher Froome waits for the start of the 203,5 km second stage of the 104th edition of the Tour de France cycling race on July 2, 2017 between Dusseldorf, Germany and Liege, Belgium. AFPLIEGE, Belgium—Chris Froome and his Sky team were under attack again on the opening weekend of the Tour de France, but not on the road.Having previously been accused of doping and using a motorised bicycle by detractors unwilling to believe his dominant performances could have been achieved through fair means, Froome is now under fire for allegedly using banned substances in his jersey.ADVERTISEMENT According to a French professor specialising in sports performance, and working for rival team FDJ, Froome and his Sky colleagues gained 18 to 25 seconds in Saturday’s time-trial through their choice of jersey.The top in question has little Vortex air pellets woven into the fabric to give an aerodynamic boost to the rider, which Frederic Grappe claims offers a five-percent boost in performance but is illegal.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“The rule is very clear. Any aerodynamic addition to the jersey is banned. Sky have clearly infringed,” Grappe told journalists.However, Sky’s sports director Nicolas Portal insisted his team had done nothing wrong. View comments China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Horn’s controversial win upsets Pacquiao and his fans “Everything is legal and the equipment was validated by the race commission,” he said.Cheating denied“We wouldn’t have taken the risk of losing the Tour from the first stage by cheating. We haven’t cheated.“Other teams use this material but we’re the ones being attacked.“We’re not infringing the rules because the Vortex isn’t added to the jersey, it’s part of it—that’s different.”ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend LATEST STORIEScenter_img Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Sky had four riders finish in the top eight of Saturday’s time-trial, including Froome, who was sixth, and Geraint Thomas, the surprise stage winner.Sky are no strangers to controversy surrounding their innovations.Two years ago, they faced scrutiny for bringing a camper van to the Giro d’Italia for their then rider Richie Porte to get a better night’s sleep.However, organizers put a stop to that immediately.They were also the first to systematically use stationary bikes to help their riders warm up for races and warm down afterwards, something which is now done by all teams.  /raSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next What ‘missteps’? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Gameslast_img read more

admin

Keylor Navas: The unsung hero fails to rescue Costa Rica!

first_imgKeylor Navas, who conceded a tournament-low two goals in 5 games, couldn’t save Costa Rica against Netherlands Not even Keylor Navas could rescue Costa Rica this time.Statistical Highlights | Match Photos  The goalkeeper who made so many wonderful saves in this World Cup was outclassed in the penalty shootout that decided the quarterfinal against the Netherlands.But for 120 minutes – and for most of Costa Rica’s previous four matches at the tournament – Navas simply couldn’t be beat.In the first half alone Saturday, Navas made four saves that helped earn him the man of the match award, even after the Dutch won a shootout 4-3 after a 0-0 draw marked by 120 minutes of Dutch dominance.In the 29th minute, Navas denied Memphis Depay with his boot.Ten minutes later his diving, one-handed, effort to swat away a free kick from Wesley Sneijder would have stood as the save of the night if Tim Krul had not stopped two Costa Rica penalties in the shootout.And there were plenty more saves, too, all the way through extra time.But in the shootout, the Netherlands converted all four of their spot kicks.”Of course you want to stop the penalty, but they shot better and I could not stop them,” Navas said.Still, that shouldn’t cast a shadow on what Navas did against Uruguay, Italy and England in the group stage – or on the class he displayed against Greece and the Netherlands for 120 minutes in the knockout stages.It was largely thanks to Navas and an impenetrable defense that Costa Rica reached the last eight for the first time.advertisementIn five matches Navas conceded a tournament-low two goals and he couldn’t be blamed for either of them.The first was a penalty kick from Edinson Cavani in Costa Rica’s opening 3-1 win over Uruguay and the second was a rebound effort from Sokratis Papastathopoulos in the penalty-shootout win over Greece in the round of 16, which ended 1-1 after 120 minutes.Papastathopoulos scored only after Navas had stopped a shot from Theofanis Gekas with a diving effort – with Costa Rica down to 10 men. Then, in the ensuing shootout for that game, Navas made the only save, diving to swat away Gekas’ attempt.While the 27-year-old Navas may not have been well known until his run here, he recently enjoyed one of the best seasons of any goalkeeper in the Spanish league.Navas was credited with a La Liga-best 160 saves for Levante during his most recent club season. He had 16 clean sheets and allowed 39 goals, meaning he stopped a La Liga-best 80.1 percent of the shots he faced.No wonder Levante had offers for Navas from European runner-up Atletico Madrid even before the World Cup began. Now, though, Navas’ transfer fee could well have doubled.last_img read more

admin