Attorney-at-Law for the Cheddi Jagan Research Centre (CJRC) Anil Nandlall apologised to acting Chief Justice Roxane George, who chided him for his late submission to the Attorney General’s Chambers regarding the organisation’s challenge to President David Granger’s revocation of the Red House leaseAttorney-at-Law Anil Nandlall.Justice George had set out precise timelines for both sides to make submissions,but when the matter was heard earlier this week, Solicitor General Kym Kyte disclosed that she never received submissions from Nandlall. According to information received, the former Attorney General explained that he had the submissions with him.Guyana Times understands that the acting Chief Justice appealed for the timelines to be honoured, saying that other predetermined timelines have been totally derailed owing to Nandlall’s late submissions.However, Justice George gave both sides until June 1 to exchange submissions after which the matter would return on June 19 for clarification. The previous dateRed Housefor clarifications was May 15.It was in December 2016 that President David Granger gave the occupants of the CJRC 48 hours to clear the premises, but the move was halted via a High Court injunction. Opposition Leader Bharrat Leader expressed that the President’s decision to revoke the 99-year lease was “unconscionable and vindictive”.
The house at the centre of the Ballyshannon controversy has NOT been bought by the county councilEXCLUSIVE: The Donegal home at the centre of the recent uproar over Traveller accommodation was NOT bought by Donegal County Council before the attack.Donegal Daily can reveal the owner of the Ballyshannon house did not sign the house over to the council before it was burned to the ground.The woman was due to sign the paperwork on the sale of the €230,000 house at Parkhill on February 11th. But just hours before the deal was done, the house was gutted in an arson attack just after 3am which Gardai are now investigating.Donegal County Council has now received legal advice that the sale had not been completed before the fire took place.The issue was discussed at a Corporate Policy Meeting of Donegal County Council yesterday.Members of the Corporate Policy Committee, which includes Mayor Frank McBrearty as well as councillors Ciaran Brogan, Dessie Larkin, John Campbell, Cora Harvey and Martin Harley, were told the council’s legal opinion was that the sale had not been completed. Councillors were presented with information on the sale of the house as part of the overall Corporate Policy Meeting.The documentation read “The contract for the acquisition of the dwelling was sealed by the council on 20th Dec 2012 and was signed by the vendor on the 12th Jan 2013 (the date of sale).“While the vendor’s solicitor initially advised that vacant possession would be available on 8 February, 2013 they subsequently confirmed that vacant possession would not be available until 11th Feb.“Naturally, arising from the serious damage caused to the property, the vendor was not in a possession to deliver the property substantially in its condition as at the date of sale and as such, the sale has not been completed.”Donegal Daily understands the owner of the gutted house, which had been allocated to a Traveller family of 12, has been informed of the situation. It is understood she is now taking legal advice on the matter and is checking to see if the property was covered by insurance up to the time of the fire.The Mayor of Donegal, Cllr Frank McBrearty, refused to make any comment on the situation when contacted by Donegal Daily late last night.The move to buy the house for the Traveller family caused major controversy and debate across Donegal in recent days.Cllr Sean McEniff found himself at the centre of the debate after he said that Travellers should be isolated form the settled community. The fall-out from the debate has led protesters to picketing Cllr McEniff’s Camden Court Hotel in Dublin at the weekend.He has accused his detractors of “hounding” him over the issue.The latest development means the council is not out of pocket as a result of the blaze.REVEALED: COUNCIL HADN’T SIGNED DEAL FOR FIREBOMBED BALLYSHANNON HOUSE was last modified: February 19th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:arson attackBallyshannonDonegal Daily exclusiveParkhillracismREVEALED: COUNCIL HADN’T SIGNED DEAL FOR FIREBOMBED BALLYSHANNON HOUSESean McEniff