UNICEF Provides Sanitary Kits for Schools Reopening

first_imgUnited Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), in partnership with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), has provided over 7,000 kits for school authorities.The kits are being distributed by partners to over 4,000 schools in all 98 school districts across the country. They are also helping parents, staff and other community members to keep safe from the EVD.Schools normally resume academic activities in September, after two months vacation, but due to the Ebola outbreak, had remained closed since last year.During the distribution, Minister of Education, Etmonia Tarpeh, said, “The Ebola outbreak has had a devastating effect on our health and educational systems and our way of life in Liberia. We have managed to beat back the spread of the virus through collective efforts.”She then emphasized on the importance the Ministry placed on the reopening of schools as well as getting school age children back to school.She, however, prayed that the reopening of schools would not be further interrupted, either by the Ebola menace or any other eventuality.With UNICEF support the Government of Liberia has developed protocols for the safe re-opening of schools, including hand-washing stations, checking students’ temperatures, establishing isolation areas for both students and staff, and having in place a system of referral to the nearest health facility.“UNICEF is supporting the MOE and the Ministry of Health in our common goal to see Liberian children back to school as soon as possible. The provision of these kits and the ongoing protocols are part of our commitment to the children of Liberia,” said Sheldon Yett, UNICEF Representative in Liberia.Over 30 partner organizations are currently delivering the kits, which include thermometers, buckets with faucets, chlorine, soap, brooms and brushes, rubber boots and gloves.“We urge community members, teachers and staff at schools, and students to ensure that the protocols are implemented to keep students, communities and families safe,” said Tolbert Nyenswah, Assistant Minister of Health and Chair of the Incident Management System.UNICEF is also supporting awareness on how to implement the protocols and help keep schools safe, including training district education officers (DEOs), environmental health technicians, district health officers (DHOs), NGO partners, and religious leaders in all 15 counties.“This is a broader support we are providing to the Government of Liberia in its fight against the Ebola outbreak,” added Yett. “We are committed to continue working with together to eradicate Ebola from the country.”In a related development, Save the Children International (SCI), along with the MOE and local Health offices in Margibi County over the weekend held a one-day workshop for school administrators and community leaders.The cost of the safe school protocol rollout workshop was put at over US$50,000 for the three school districts in Margibi County.The exercise was part of the “Protocol for Safe School Environment in the wake of Ebola outbreak in Liberia” being rolled out to teachers, school administrators and community leaders.The social mobilization following the exercise, according to SCI Education Manager, Augustine Kullie, was also a key component in the fight against Ebola and that the entity looks forward to seeing school administrators, teachers and community leaders having detailed understanding of the exercise.Kakata DEO, Amanda Zota said her office will ensure the execution of the protocol, vowing to leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the exercise approved is executed.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

admin

Doubts over Qatar-hosted Gulf Cup as draw takes place

first_imgHowever, as many as half of the teams may not play in the eight-nation tournament, scheduled to take place in Doha between December 22 and January 5.Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain could boycott the event because of its increasingly bitter political standoff with Qatar, now in its fourth month.Notably, no representatives of the three associations were in Doha for the draw.And even though the cup is not a FIFA event, Kuwait’s football association remains suspended by the world’s governing body and it is not clear if its team can take part in the tournament.Asked if the tournament would take place, Jassim al-Rumaihi, general secretary of the Arab Gulf Cup Football Federations (AGCFF) said: “We will see what happens.“Qatar is ready to organise and host this tournament,” he told reporters after the draw.“It will be clearer in the coming hours and the coming days.”He added: “In the current situation, I hope we don’t mix sport and politics.”Rumaihi said that if Saudi, UAE and Bahrain pulled out, the remaining teams would play a round robin tournament.However, if there are only four teams available to play, a fresh decision would be taken by the AGCFF whether to stage the tournament.If some countries boycott the event, they could face fines and may also be ordered to compensate broadcasters, said Hamid Alshaibani, chairman of the competitions committee.Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE have isolated Qatar, cutting all ties with Doha since June 5, accusing the emirate of supporting extremism and fostering ties with Iran.World Cup 2022 host Qatar denies the charges, claiming the dispute is an attack on its sovereignty.Regardless, the dispute has now lasted more than 100 days and shows few signs of ending soon.This latest edition of the Gulf Cup of Nations, which is held every two years, has already run into problems.It was meant to be played in Kuwait in 2016 but due to the country’s FIFA ban the tournament was moved to Qatar and scheduled to be played a year late.Qatar are the current holders of the trophy, having beaten Saudi Arabia 2-1 in the 2014 final.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000A general view shows the Gulf Cup of Nations draw in Doha on September 25, 2017 © AFP / Karim JAAFARDOHA, Qatar, Sep 25 – The draw for the Gulf Cup of Nations went ahead Monday despite serious doubts that the Qatar-hosted competition will take place largely due to ongoing regional political tensions.In bizarre circumstances an elaborate ceremony saw Qatar drawn with Bahrain, Iraq and Yemen in Group A, while Saudi Arabia, Oman, the United Arab Emirates and possibly Kuwait will make up Group B.last_img read more

admin

NAOMH MUIRE PLAYERS IN TOUCHING TRIBUTE TO CONOR BOYLE

first_imgThe trophy takes pride of place at a tribute to Conor at his gravesideNAOMH Muire’s championship win on Sunday was filled with pride – and a tinge of sadness.Pride at winning only their third intermediate championship with their win over St Naul’s.But the memory of former team mate Conor Boyle was never far away. Conor died last month after a road traffic accident near London.His passing has been felt by everyone in the Rosses and wider Donegal community, particularly among so many young people who knew him so well – and many of those young people from throughout Ireland who knew him through their visits to the summer colleges.Naomh Muire players and supporters dedicated the win to Conor.And took the trophy to his grave in tribute. “This one was for you buddy! I’m sure you’ll be doing your own bit of celebrating up there.. Love you and miss ya lad,” wrote friend Jack O’Brien.ConorNAOMH MUIRE PLAYERS IN TOUCHING TRIBUTE TO CONOR BOYLE was last modified: October 14th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Championship winConor BoyleGAANAOMH MUIRElast_img read more

admin