Posted: August 3, 2018 Man found guilty of felony assault for punching police officer in Chicano Park Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, August 3, 2018 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A man who punched a San Diego police officer in the face after the officer and his partner ordered him to stop walking in the middle of the street near a rally at Chicano Park was convicted Friday of assault and other charges.Jurors found 39-year-old Frederick Jefferson of San Diego guilty of felony assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, resisting an executive officer and a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer after one day of deliberations. The defendant faces about nine years in state prison when he is sentenced Aug. 31, said Deputy District Attorney Michael Reilly.Reilly told the jury that Jefferson “wanted to play by his own rules” when Officers Matthew Ruggiero and Justin Tennebaum tried to get him to walk on the sidewalk on Logan Avenue the morning of Feb. 3, close to where two rival groups were rallying in the park.The prosecutor said the officers had every right to stop and enforce traffic laws against jaywalking and to use force when Jefferson reacted violently to their requests to move onto the sidewalk.“Get out of the street,” one of the officers said to Jefferson. “C’mon dude, stop! You’re gonna get a ticket, or go to jail!”The prosecutor said Jefferson reacted suddenly and violently when the officers got out of their patrol car and tried to grab the defendant’s arms and move him out of the street.“Don’t you put your hands on me,” Jefferson is heard saying on one of the officer’s body-worn cameras.Reilly said Ruggiero pulled out his police baton but didn’t use it on Jefferson until the defendant started swinging at him.Ruggiero was hit in the face two or three times and suffered a fractured nose and cheek bone.Jefferson struggled with at least five other officers before being taken to the ground and handcuffed.The defendant testified that he was minding his own business, walking toward what he thought was a parade, when the officers grabbed his arms. Jefferson told the jury he acted in self-defense.
0 Post a comment Animals behaving badly amuse the internet Enlarge ImageSnakes alive, this python is a big ‘un. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission “Problem pythons” sounds like a great band name, but it’s a real issue for some areas of Florida. Burmese pythons are breeding and spreading across wildlife areas, including the fragile Everglades. The state now pays trappers to round up the large snakes, and one particular hunter just caught a doozy. Trapper John Hammond grabbed an 18-foot-long (5.5-meter) python this past weekend. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) shared a startling photo of his trophy on Facebook earlier this week. “During cooler months, people are more likely to see pythons during the day,” the commission wrote. Hammond, officially known as a Python Removal Contractor, snagged the snake in the Everglades Francis S. Taylor Wildlife Management Area near Miami. Burmese pythons can reach 20 feet (6 meters) in size. More nope-ropes The story didn’t end happily for the snake. FWC says pythons caught for the program are humanely euthanized. Hammond told Fox 35 he would use the snake’s hide after skinning it. The news station also reports the snake just set a new record for largest python caught as part of Florida’s removal program. The 150-pounder beat out a 17-foot, 120-pound snake snagged in November. It’s sad to see what happens to these majestic animals, but Florida is trying to control the invasive species, which is taking a serious toll on native wildlife. The state even offers Python Patrol, a training program for private citizens that teaches them how to identify, capture and humanely kill the predators. Hundreds of the snakes have been removed since Florida started its python-control efforts. Tags CNET’s Holiday Gift Guide: The place to find the best tech gifts for 2018.Taking It to Extremes: Mix insane situations — erupting volcanoes, nuclear meltdowns, 30-foot waves — with everyday tech. Here’s what happens. Share your voice Nest doorbell camera catches slithery snake on video Rare two-headed venomous snake offers double the nope 11 Photos Random
Tesla Electric Cars Car Industry Enlarge ImageThe Model S looks an awful lot now like it did when it debuted in 2012, but that’s not a bad thing. Tim Stevens/Roadshow Most manufacturers would be freaking out about the future if it had models in its lineup that were mostly the same now as they were when they debuted seven years ago. Not Tesla, though. Despite many minor changes and a few technical updates, the Model S of 2019 is not wildly different from the one that debuted way back in 2012. That has led people to wonder if the Model S and its slightly newer sibling, Model X, will be getting a redo anytime soon.The answer to that, according to the Big T’s CEO Elon Musk, is no. The recent mechanical refresh to S and X that we saw a few months ago is the extent of what we can expect for the future. On the one hand, that sounds crazy, but on the other, it’s not like either model looks especially dated. Now playing: Watch this: There is no “refreshed” Model X or Model S coming, only a series of minor ongoing changes. Most significant change in past few years was to use high efficiency Model 3 rear drive unit as S/X front drive unit. That went into production 3 months ago.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 9, 2019 2 Musk’s decision makes sense from a business standpoint, too. Why would a company that is so resource-hungry as it is divert funding and personnel away from new models like Y or the Tesla truck to retool relatively low-volume flagship models?Now, Models S and X will continue to get minor updates, both in hardware and of course through software, but Musk also states that we shouldn’t expect even an interior re-do, despite the move away from the S and X’s more traditional interior layout to the more minimal style used on 3 and Y.In the long-term, it’s not clear how S and X fit into Tesla’s grand plans with all the robotaxis and semi-trucks and God knows what else Elon is cooking up. In the meantime though, they won’t be going anywhere, and if our own Tim Stevens’ recent review of the current Model S is anything to go by, that’s not a bad thing.Tesla didn’t had no further comment beyond Musk’s tweets. Comments 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Share your voice More From Roadshow Tesla Model S Long Range pulls further ahead of the EV… 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Tesla’s Model X gets artsy Tags 8:35 30 Photos Elon Musk Tesla
Huthi representative Salim al-Moughaless (L) and Yemeni economist and government representative Ahmed Ghaleb (R) shake hands during the first Yemen peace talks since 2016, on 10 December 2018 in the Swedish rural town of Rimbo. A mass prisoner swap between Yemeni rebels and the government, a key issue at UN-brokered peace talks in Sweden, has been finalised, both sides said today. Brokered by UN special envoy Martin Griffiths earlier this month, it is one of the main points at talks between the government and Huthi rebels in Sweden this week. Photo: PhotoMediators in UN-brokered talks on Yemen pushed Wednesday for a truce between warring parties as a crucial step to allow aid deliveries, with 24 hours left in the negotiations.But the likeliest issue on which the parties could agree is Sanaa airport, shut down for years in the war between the Saudi-backed government and northern rebels linked to Iran.Yemeni government representatives told reporters the rivals were hammering out the final details on an airport deal. Two rebel negotiators denied to AFP that their team had agreed to a UN proposal as yet.UN negotiators are seeking a de-escalation of violence in two flashpoint cities: rebel-held Hodeida, a port city vital to the supply of humanitarian aid, and Taiz, Yemen’s third largest city, scene of some of the war’s most intense fighting.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was due at the talks in Rimbo, Sweden, for Thursday’s closing round of consultations. His arrival comes hours after his office said it had evidence the rebel Huthis were using Iran-made missiles.- ‘No agreement’ -The Sweden talks, which opened Thursday, mark the first meeting between Yemen’s Huthi rebels and the government of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, backed since 2015 by a behemoth military coalition led by Saudi Arabia.Both government and rebel representatives have traded accusations of unwillingness to negotiate, particularly on rebel-held Hodeida, the main route for 90 percent of food imports and nearly 80 percent of aid deliveries.Multiple draft proposals have been submitted to the two delegations over the past week. None have found consensus as yet.Yemeni ministers Othman Mujalli and Marwan Dammaj told reporters Wednesday their camp would hold firm to UN Security Council Resolution 2216 — which calls for the Huthis to withdraw from all areas seized in a 2014 takeover, including Hodeida.The rebels have refused a full withdrawal.Yemeni Foreign Minister Khaled al-Yamani this week proposed government-held Aden as Yemen’s sole international airport, with Sanaa turning into a hub for domestic flights.The government accuses the rebels of arms smuggling through Sanaa airport and the Red Sea port of Hodeida, and the Saudi-led coalition has severely restricted flights to and from Sanaa for years.While a source inside the talks said a deal had been reached on Sanaa airport, rebel representative Abdelmalik al-Ajri told AFP his team had not agreed to the latest proposal.”There is no agreement,” Ajri said. “Talks are ongoing.””The issue today is the airport, the final touches,” said Othman Mujalli, Yemen’s agriculture minister and a member of the government delegation.”Today’s discussion is around (Sanaa airport), which will be a domestic airport for flights that have been searched during a stop in Aden.”The Yemen conflict has killed nearly 10,000 people since the Saudi-led coalition joined the war in 2015, according to the World Health Organization, triggering what the UN calls the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.Both parties stand accused of failing to protect civilians. The Saudi-led alliance has been blacklisted by the UN for the killing and maiming of children.
Unfit buses get makeover in N’ganj for Eid. Photo: Ashraful AlamUnscrupulous bus owners in the district have refurbished their old and unfit buses to operate those during the mad rush of Eid-ul-Fitr, caring little about the safety and security of holidaymakers.Every year, thousands of people who leave capital Dhaka and its adjacent districts to celebrate Eid with the families in their village homes face this trouble due to inadequate public transport.Taking advantage of the situation, bus owners repair their unfit vehicles to carry passengers, defying the risk of fatal accidents.During a visit to Narayanganj Central Bus Terminal, the UNB correspondent found at least 10 unfit and worn-out buses were getting prepared for plying roads during Eid.Talking to the UNB correspondent, some transport owners said as there is huge rush during three days before and after Eid, they repair their old vehicles to meet the additional demand of passengers.”Taking advantage of the situation, bus owners make brisk business using their old and unfit buses,” said garment worker Harun Miah.”One of such unfit bus had gone out of operation on Dhaka-Chattogram Highway during our Eid journey to Noakhali last year, triggering a long tailback on the highway and causing unbearable sufferings to us,” Nurul said.Babul Hossain, a bus painter of the central bus terminal area, said, “They’ve to face huge pressure of work during Eid every year and there’s no exception this year, too.”Engine mechanic Yasin Miah said they have to work round the clock during Eid every year as they have to complete the huge work at least a week ahead of Eid.Turning down the allegation, Moktar Hossain, president of Narayanganj Bus-Minibus Owners Association, said, “There’s no scope of operating unfit busses as the administration is on alert to check irregularities.”But, Rafiur Rabbi, convener of Passengers Rights Protection Forum, alleged that the owners are doing such illegal facelift work with the help of some dishonest officials of Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA).”It’s possible to stop plying such unfit vehicles if the BRTA officials and administration become strict,” he added.This illegal practice is going on amid the alarming increase in road accidents across the country.Bangladesh Jatri Kalyan Samity, a passengers’ welfare association, on 25 January claimed that some 7,221 people were killed in at least 5,514 road accidents across the country in 2018 alone.Some 15,466 others were injured in the accidents, they added.
Share PexelsTexas officials denied they imposed any cap on special education in a letter to the U.S. Department of Education.The Texas Education Agency told federal authorities that it never created a cap on how many children with disabilities could receive special education services.At the same time, the state’s Deputy Commissioner of Academics Penny Schwinn said that the state will add new changes to clarify rules for districts, citing “recent confusion” over the special education indicator.The letter was sent after federal authorities ordered Texas last month to end its arbitrary benchmark for special ed, unless Texas could show no children have been denied needed services.The state agency’s strong denial of any cap stands in sharp contrast to a major investigation by the Houston Chronicle. It revealed that state officials could have set an arbitrary benchmark at 8.5 percent for special ed. Since then, special ed enrollment in Texas schools has plummeted. The state now has lowest percentage of kids in special education in the country. The national average is higher at 13 percent.In the letter to the U.S. Department of Education, Texas officials defended the data-monitoring system that allowed them to keep tabs on districts and their special ed enrollment. They also denied that the goal was to cut back on services for children with autism, mental illness and other disabilities in order to save money.Federal law says children with disabilities are entitled to a free and appropriate education.It’s not clear when the feds will respond. “The Education Department will carefully review the state’s response and, after the review is concluded, determine appropriate next steps,” said Jessica Allen, assistant press secretary for the U.S. Department of Education.In Austin, some state lawmakers are already gearing up to address the issue. Speaker of the House, Rep. Joe Straus, R-San Antonio, has called for an immediate overhaul of special education in Texas.