The launch of Duluth~Superior Magazine, a regional Minnesota niche, may never have happened if it weren’t for its founder’s rocky start.When former Duluth News Tribune publisher Marti Buscaglia decided to leave the newspaper to take a position at the Orange County Register in California, she suffered a devastating career blow when an anonymous reader tipped off her new employer to ask for a copy of Buscaglia’s college diploma.Buscaglia, who never finished her degree, says she made the “rookie” mistake of writing it on her resume. “The CEO asked me, ‘Well, do you want to come on board anyway and ride out the storm?’ and I told him that I didn’t think it was fair to his readers—they needed a publisher they could trust.” Buscaglia picked up the pieces, finished her college degree in Minnesota (graduating summa cum laude), and took the summer of 2007 to write the business plan for her dream of producing a niche city and lifestyle publication for the area.“I had a vision and I understand demographics. We really set out to give people a sense of pride of living in this region,” she says of the underserved market.After launching in the winter of 2008, Buscaglia’s brainchild has a 10,000 circulation for a market area of less than 250,000 people. While other area magazines tout PDFs to display content online, Buscaglia has created a Web presence with online-exclusive content, unique media partnerships and a comprehensive arts and events calendar. The Web site draws 165,000 page views from 10,000 visitors monthly.“We didn’t have a lot of ads, but enough to make it worthwhile, with five full-page advertisers with yearlong contracts, and a few smaller ones,” says Buscaglia. The magazine, now 68 pages, is down from its launch of 96 pages. Buscaglia admits anticipating a page reduction. “Readers are just as happy. Many say it’s better.”VITAL STATS: After only a year, Duluth~Superior Magazine has 10,000 circulation for a market area of less than 250,000 people.
The Norfolk (Va.) City Council is having second thoughts about its vote last month to allow a business located under the takeoff path of Naval Station Norfolk Chambers Field to open after the decision was harshly criticized by John Harvey Jr., Virginia’s secretary of veterans and defense affairs. Dan Cohen AUTHOR “The last thing that needs to happen now is for any city or county in the commonwealth of Virginia to signal publicly, ‘OK, we’re just not going to play by the rules here that we agreed to,’” said Harvey, a retired four-star admiral. The commander of Naval Station Norfolk had voiced opposition to the business application prior to the city council’s vote. The city manager told the paper that staff have spoken to the owner, who is “open to a dialogue with us that results in a win-win for both her and the city.” In a March 10 letter to Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim, Harvey said the city’s decision jeopardizes the future of the airfield, formerly known as Norfolk Naval Air Station, reported the Virginian-Pilot. He warned DOD could view the vote as an indication the city does not support the naval station, which possibly could lead to a recommendation to close the airfield. In response to Harvey’s criticism, the city council agreed to see whether the business owner will agree to move to a new location, with city assistance. The council cannot legally undo its approval, the city attorney ruled. “We have no ability to do anything other than to ask or to try,” Fraim said. The council made an exception to a city policy limiting the use of property in the accident potential zones surrounding military airfields because city officials failed to inform the prospective owner of the banquet hall about the policy for more than two months after she applied for permits. The site of the banquet hall is about one-and-a-half miles from the east end of the runway at Chambers Field, putting it in Accident Potential Zone 2.
A 23rd-century tourist guide to the galaxy The top layers of the archive disc can be viewed with an optical microscope. Arch Mission Foundation/Bruce Ha On Thursday night, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carried an Israeli-made spacecraft named Beresheet beyond the grasp of Earth’s gravity and sent it on its way to the surface of the moon. On board Beresheet is a specially designed disc encoded with a 30-million-page archive of human civilization built to last billions of years into the future. The backup for humanity has been dubbed “The Lunar Library” by its creator, the Arch Mission Foundation (AMF). “The idea is to place enough backups in enough places around the solar system, on an ongoing basis, that our precious knowledge and biological heritage can never be lost,” the nonprofit’s co-founder Nova Spivack told me via email.The AMF also placed a small test archive on Elon Musk’s red Tesla Roadster that was launched in the direction of Mars aboard the first Falcon Heavy demonstration mission last year. That archive consisted of Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy encoded in a disc made of quartz silica glass made to last millions of years as the Roadster orbits the sun. The AMF has also placed a solid-state copy of Wikipedia on board a cubesat from SpaceChain in low-Earth orbit.The little lander Beresheet hopes to make history in multiple ways this year. SpaceIL Part of the motivation for the far-out project is to leave a copy of humanity’s knowledge not just in the cloud, but far beyond the clouds, should the impacts of climate change or a potential nuclear war do us or the planet in at some point in the future. “While I am optimistic that humanity will rise to the challenge and develop a multinational planetary defense initiative to mitigate these planetary risks, it is also prudent to have a plan B,” Spivack said. “Instead of one backup in one place our strategy is ‘many copies, many places’ — and we plan to send updates on a regular basis.”The AMF has already signed on to an additional planned moon mission, with startup Astrobotic, to send another Lunar Library installment to the moon in the next few years. There are also plans in the works to send archives to Mars, LaGrange points around Earth and deep underground caves on our planet. “The interplanetary network of backup locations we have started may even help to enable an interplanetary Internet. As we become a spacefaring civilization, we are going to need ways to move big data around the solar system, and protect it in transit, and at each location,” Spivack said. 17 Photos Tags Share your voice Sci-Tech 8 Space Comments The disc aboard Beresheet is about the size and thickness of a DVD, but consists of 25 stacked thin nickel films that AMF insists can resist radiation, extreme temperatures and other harsh conditions found in space for billions of years. There is, of course, no way to test how long it will last, but if it survives as long as hoped, the disc may even be around longer than the moon itself. The top four layers are actually filled with 60,000 pages of tiny analog images that can be viewed with optical microscope technology that’s been around for centuries. The images include a sort of users’ guide explaining human language, the contents of the disc and how to access the deeper layers containing compressed digital data. The digitized layers include a full copy of Wikipedia, more than 25,000 books and data for understanding over 5,000 languages. But if humans — or perhaps someone else — is ever going to get a chance to use the Lunar Library, it has to first get to the surface of the moon. Beresheet is now just beginning a long, complicated journey that will involve a handful of swings around Earth to increase the size of its orbit before jumping into orbit around the moon and eventually attempting a landing.The first window of opportunity to land comes on April 11. So if all works out, Wikipedia will touch down on the moon almost exactly 50 years after man first showed up there. Any aliens who come across it in the future will surely be baffled by a few choice entries, like “moon-landing conspiracy theories,” “flat Earth” or “Tide pod challenge.” But at least they’ll help illustrate why we needed a backup.
Some 3,000 more Rohingyas entered Bangladesh since 22 November putting the total number of Rohingyas at 624,000 since 25 August, said the UN Migration Agency on Monday, reports UNB.As of 25 November, Bangladesh Immigration and Passports Department registered a total of 663, 694 people through biometric registration, according to the IOM Needs and Population Monitoring.Meanwhile, Bangladesh Social Service Department has identified 7,771 unaccompanied and separated children.The report is produced by Inter Sector Coordination Group (ISCG) in collaboration with humanitarian partners that covered 17 November to until 24 November. The next report will be issued on 3 December.This week the ISCG Humanitarian Hub in Ukhia will become operational and the ISCG will deploy staff to the field in order to provide coordination services on the ground for sector partners, government authorities and both national and international nongovernmental organisations.The hub has been constructed by the International Humanitarian Partnership and IOM.Violence in Rakhine which began on 25 August has driven the Rohingya across the border into Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.The people who have arrived in Bangladesh since 25 August came with very few possessions.They have used most of their savings on transportation and constructing a shelter, often out of no more than bamboo and thin plastic.The Rohingya population in Cox’s Bazar is highly vulnerable, having fled conflict and experienced severe trauma, and now living in extremely difficult conditions, said the report.Population movements within Cox’s Bazar remain highly fluid, with increasing concentration in Ukhia, where the government has allocated 3,000 acres for a new camp.
YouTube Rings in Era of Ad-Supported Originals By Making ‘Cobra Kai’ Free to Watch Silicon Valleywood: Content Creators Discuss if Storytelling is Driven by Data Google tapped Mohan to head YouTube’s product and design in 2015. Previously, he was SVP of display and video ads at Google, after joining the internet giant in 2008 with Google’s $3.1 billion acquisition of DoubleClick.As for what YouTube’s biggest business challenges are at this point, Mohan stayed on message — citing the need to “let our creators grow in every sense of the term.”“Whether you call it a challenge or opportunity, the conversation always goes back to: What is the magic of YouTube?” he said. “It’s building these awesome opportunities for the new creative economy. These creators are almost new companies in some sense.” Related Mohan continued, “The way I really think about that is, it’s a continual effort to remove — as quickly as possible — any content that violates our guidelines, raising up reliable sources, and reducing the impressions of borderline content which maybe we shouldn’t be recommending as much.”YouTube has been focused since its inception on “creating opportunities for creators,” Mohan claimed. The platform has introduced new products to help creators grow their audiences, such as YouTube Stories (short, mobile-only videos that expire after seven days), scheduled video premieres, and virtual-reality features. To scale those audiences into businesses, YouTube has been providing new monetization tools, including the introduction last year of Channel Memberships and a way for channel owners to sell merchandise.And new this year, YouTube plans to roll out programs and tools for creators to support and raise money for causes. “YouTubers have shared that they want to use YouTube to generate funds and contribute resources for things that are important to them,” Mohan said. “My job as chief product officer is to find ways to make that simpler and easier.”In addition to Mohan’s Thursday keynote at VidCon, YouTube will stage other events at the July 10-13 convention in Anaheim. It’s hosting screenings of and cast panels for two YouTube originals — season 4 of murder-mystery competition series “Escape the Night” with Joey Graceffa and comedy “Liza On Demand” season 2 starring Liza Koshy. At VidCon, YouTube also is hosting meetups for diverse creators, including Latino, Asian, black, and LGBTQ creators.On July 11, it’s reprising YouTube OnStage, a live entertainment showcase in its third year, headlined by Meghan Trainor (who recently passed 10 million subscribers on her YouTube channel) along with performances from others including comedy duo Rhett & Link of “Good Mythical Morning”; “America’s Got Talent” finalist Sofie Dossi; and DJ Earworm.“The core of the event is kind of like the YouTube platform coming to life,” said Mohan. “I see fans fly in from around the world to see their favorite creators for a few minutes.” YouTube continues to make headlines for objectionable content and misinformation hosted on the world’s biggest video platform. And it’s been criticized for not doing enough to combat the problems.Neal Mohan, YouTube’s chief product officer, is responsible for all of the service’s products, which reach more than 2 billion users each month. This week, he’s heading to the 10th annual VidCon creator/fan confab in the U.S., where the exec is set to deliver a keynote focused on YouTube’s efforts to empower creators with new ways to help them build communities and ultimately make money.A big part of that mission, Mohan said, is to refine and enforce policies that keep the bad stuff off YouTube — so that the good stuff can thrive.“What underpins everything [about YouTube’s mission to support creators] is our responsibility as a global platform, to make sure our platform is safe for everyone,” he said in an interview with Variety. ALL NEW! HOT LIPS 2 11 lipstick shades inspired by 11 incredible icons Ad by Charlotte Tilbury See More AdChoices But life on YouTube isn’t a nonstop party. Alongside its creator-centered initiatives, YouTube has spent considerable time trying to clean up the platform.Last month, it added a way for users to remove suggestions from channels they don’t want to watch. It also specifically banned videos that promote the idea that one group is superior to others, including neo-Nazi content, and said it will widen efforts to limit recommendations of “borderline content and harmful misinformation” outside the U.S. In addition, it has taken steps to reduce the risk children will be targeted by predators on the service, including banning young kids from live-streaming without adult supervision and blocking the ability to leave comments on nearly all videos with minors.“We are continuously working on our community guidelines,” Mohan said. He maintained that changes YouTube has put in place have involved “months of work” including consulting with third parties across the world.At Facebook, CEO Mark Zuckerberg has proposed a plan for users to appeal content decisions through an independent body. The Facebook Oversight Board would be comprised of 40 outside participants to make “decisions would be transparent and binding” — a kind of Supreme Court to rule on individual cases when questions come up about what should stay and what should get removed.Could that work for YouTube? Mohan said the Google-owned video platform remains focused on establishing a workable set of community guidelines with clear and efficient enforcement. “We have always worked with third parties and external organizations,” he said. “You need a combination of incredibly well-trained raters, as well as technology.”Meanwhile, Mohan declined to comment on a report last month in the Wall Street Journal last month that Google execs were debating the idea of moving all videos for children to the separate YouTube Kids app. The FTC is said to be investigating YouTube for possible violations of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, which prohibits collecting data on kids 13 and under. YouTube hasn’t denied the WSJ story; a rep said in a statement: “We consider lots of ideas for improving YouTube and some remain just that — ideas. Others, we develop and launch, like our restrictions to minors live streaming or updated hate speech policy.” Popular on Variety ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15