A surprising story has emerged regarding the true identity of the father of a 10 year-old Liberian boy, Barway Collins, whose body was found April 11 in the Mississippi River in Brooklyn Center in the United States. Barway’s father, Pierre Collins of Crystal, Minnesota, has ever since been considered the prime suspect in the murder of his son as a result of tangible evidence in the possession of Minnesota State security authorities. He is charged with second-degree murder, according to information reaching the Daily Observer. He is currently behind bars awaiting trial for his son’s murder, though he told police prior to his arrest “If they have enough, (evidence) they should come and get me.” But in what may be considered another twist to the entire episode, the biological mother of Barway Collins has made a revelation about the true identity of the man she considered her deceased child’s father. The boy’s mother, Ms. Louise Karluah, who spoke to the popular Liberian Top Talk-Show host, Mamadee Diakite, painted a terrible picture of her encounter with Pierre Collins when she was only 15 and a student in a refugee camp. Ms. Karluah told Diakite, “I was fifteen years old in Ghana in the eighth grade. He was our French teacher. He called me inside for an assignment and started to pet me and raped me. That’s how I got pregnant with Edwin (Barway’s real name). Ms. Karluah said after she got pregnant, Pierre asked her to abort the pregnancy. Because of her refusal to do as he demanded, she said, “He disowned the pregnancy. He was very wicked to me.” “My son was precious; he was my hope and he was a smart boy who promised to do things for me. He used to send me money. If (Pierre) Collins stands before me today, I will kill him – he is a very wicked man,” she told Diakite. She also revealed that she sent her son to the United States and did not speak with him on the phone until 2013. During their conversations, Ms. Karluah said, Barway told her he was physically punished and she counseled him to “be obedient.” She also disclosed that Collins informed her when Barway went missing.According to reports from Crystal, Minnesota, funeral arrangements for young Barway will be held on Saturday at Shiloh Temple in north Minneapolis, the family spokesman, Pastor Harding Smith, said Tuesday. Barway’s body, according to Pastor Smith, was released by the medical examiner to Estes Funeral Chapel in Minneapolis and that the father has relinquished all funeral and burial arrangements to him. It is anticipated that Barway’s biological mother will attend the funeral, as efforts are underway to ensure that she gets there on time. “I have tried to wait until Barway’s mother gets here,” Star Tribune quotes Smith as saying. “I think it is very important for a mother to be here to bury her son.” Barway went to the United States from Liberia when he was 5 to join his father, who had arrived there a few years earlier. Several members of the Liberian immigrant community also want Barway’s biological mother to be at the funeral. Meanwhile, Pierre Collins, who has been charged with second-degree murder in the boy’s death, remains in the Hennepin County jail with bail set at US$2million. Barway, whose body was discovered bound with duct tape, had been missing since March 18.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The 58-year-old mother of one, who was apprehended by ranks at her Bartica Old Housing Scheme home last week with a large quantity of cocaine and cannabis, was on Tuesday remanded to prison.Roxanne CarringtonRoxanne Carrington of Lot 63 Old Housing Scheme, Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.The woman denied that on June 23, 2018, she had in her possession 2555 grams of cannabis and 1451 grams of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking.The prosecution is contending that ranks swooped down on Carrington’s home and found the drugs hidden in two separate rooms, one occupied by her and the other by a miner, who was renting a room at the woman’s house.Reports are the women reportedly told Police that the prohibited substances did not belong to her, but belonged to the man whose name was given as Royston Smith.Her Attorney, Latchmie Rahamat informed the Court that Carrington would rent rooms to persons coming out of the interior.At the time of the discovery of the drugs, Smith, along with a woman, Betty Mohan, was occupying rooms.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield revealed that at the time of the discovery, the woman had explained that she was keeping the drugs for an unknown person.Bail was denied, and the defendant was remanded to prison. The case will continue on July 12, 2018 at the Bartica Magistrate’s Court.
53rd Independence AnniversaryAs Guyana celebrates its 53rd Independence Anniversary today, the Opposition – People’s Progressive Party – has joined in calling for Guyanese to embrace how far the country has come and to play their part in Guyana realising its true potential.The party paid its respects to the historical sacrifices that persons have made to ensure that Guyana achieved its independence. According to the PPP, such individuals had many challenges to overcome before the colonial shackles could be overcome.“During the fifty-three years since, our country faced many challenges and experienced a period of unprecedented progress and prosperity. Throughout that time, our resilient and patriotic Guyanese people remained resolute towards the building of a better nation through hard work and dedication for the advancement of their fellow men and women,” the PPP said.The party noted that patriotic Guyanese remain committed to building a better Guyana, notwithstanding present challenges. It also noted that Guyana has much potential which, through prudent management, could create a better future for all.“In observing another milestone in our independence, our party urges reflection on the valiant efforts of those who made untold sacrifices during the struggles for self-rule. Those sacrifices must continue to be valued and remain a source to imbue us all with pride and patriotism,” the party added.“We must also remain cognisant of our nation’s vast potential which, through prudent management, can create the brighter future we all desire. Let us continue to remain hopeful so that our challenges can be overcome,” the party’s statement added.
But, thanks to Zachary Mirman’s goal off Daniel Halim’s throw-in in the 78th minute and succesful penalty kick from Thomas McAndrews and Chris Okano, Harvard-Westlake snapped Royal’s 23-game unbeaten streak and advanced to Friday’s quarterfinals. “Our guys wanted a rematch with Royal and it’s been on our minds since the day we found out we were playing them,” Harvard-Westlake coach Freddy Arroyo said. Following Mirman’s goal, the Wolverines nearly took the lead twice before the shootout, but Patrick Keane kicked the ball away from Okano in front of an open net in regulation and Eldridge came up with a kick save on Stephen Jackson’s shot in the first 10-minute overtime. With tensions mounting during both sudden-death periods, Eldridge apparently punched Kremer following the first round of penalty kicks. That added more motivation for Kremer, who recorded his lone stop during the shootout in between two costly Royal misses to keep the Wolverines’ playoff run alive following an 0-5 start to the season. Kremer stopped Eddie Melgarejo’s penalty kick in the third round of the shootout and converted the subsequent shot for the Wolverines to lead host Harvard-Westlake to a 3-1 victory on penalty kicks after the teams played to a 1-1 tie. The victory was sweet revenge for the Wolverines (17-10-1), who suffered a 5-0loss Dec. 1 to Royal (22-2-5) in the Burroughs of Burbank tournament. Matthew Kremer absorbed two shots from the Royal of Simi Valley boys’ soccer team, the first on a goal by Rafael Alvarez and the second during an altercation with Highlanders’ goalkeeper Nick Eldridge during penalty kicks. But the Harvard-Westlake of Studio City goalkeeper had the final say Wednesday, delivering the knockout punch to end visiting Royal’s season in the second round of the Southern Section Div. I playoffs. -Erik Boal DIV. II Saugus 4, Santa Barbara 2: Larry Guizar scored twice for the host Centurions to give him 17 on the season. Kyle Ernsberger and Josh Coefield also scored for Saugus. DIV. VI (16-8-3) Viewpoint 2, Montclair Prep 0: Spencer Brown scored both goals for host Viewpoint of Calabasas (18-0-6) in a victory against Montclair Prep of Panorama City (12-11-3). CITY SECTION Chatsworth 1, Manual Arts 0: Bob Colocho scored the game’s lone goal to lead host Chatsworth (18-6-2) to a win over Manual Arts of Los Angeles. Sylmar 2, Birmingham 0: Liberato Cabrera scored twice on assists from Jorge Serrano to lead Sylmar (21-2-3) to a victory at Birmingham of Lake Balboa. Canoga Park 2, Banning 0: Rafael Garcia and Jeffrey Quijano scored for top-seeded Canoga Park (21-0-1) in a win over visiting Banning of Willington. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
If Scott Spencer has his way, all that will change. Spencer is manager of SBD Airport Services, which leases the airport’s main hangar, as well as a passenger terminal that is under construction. The airport is the made-over former Norton Air Force Base. As Spencer told the Los Angeles Times, the airport could be the low-cost alternative for airlines serving the fastest growing area in the state. He says a scheduled airline could save an average of $3 million a year by operating at San Bernardino. From a passenger’s viewpoint, this could mean inexpensive flights to both domestic and international destinations without the horrendous traffic and long security lines at LAX. Spencer pointed out that many airline customers drive past San Bernardino to get to Ontario International and other more distant airports. Obviously his airport and Ontario would compete for business, and Ontario isn’t all that busy yet. That should change, though, as the population rises and demand increases. The region will need more flights, and the region’s airports, except for Ontario, are nearing capacity. So far, San Bernardino Airport has spent $8 million on access roads; $34 million to rebuild the runways, which can handle 747 jumbo jets; and $38 million on the new terminal. Nonairline services have increased sharply, and airport officials are going after charter services. All that’s needed now is to attract a few commercial airlines. Neighbors of the region’s already busy airports would be glad to see San Bernardino get the business.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! San Bernardino International doesn’t live up to its name, but let’s hope it gets some business. For those who worry about the pressures on Los Angeles International Airport to expand commercial airline activity, there is welcome news from officials at San Bernardino International Airport. They want a piece of the business. Let’s hope they get it. Despite its lofty name, San Bernardino International has no international flights. In fact it has no commercial flights at all.
A Letterkenny man ran out of a house and threatened to fight with three Gardai.John McGinley, of Glenwood Park, was visited by Gardai on August 6th last. When Gardai called at the house, a man gave them a two fingered sign before a woman answered the door.While speaking to the woman, a highly-intoxicated man ran down the stairs forcing Gardai to back off.The man, identified as John McGinley, took off his shirt and took up a boxing stance against Gardai.He was immediately pepper-sprayed and incapacitated by the Gardai.Solicitor Michael Shiel said his client’s brother had been killed tragically in a car accident the previous day.He also has an issue with both alcohol and drugs and is getting counselling with these issues.Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the case until February 6th for a probation and community service report.However he warned McGinley that his behaviour between now and then will have an affect on his sentencing in the matter.Man took off shirt and took boxing stance with three Gardai was last modified: November 7th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
It’s been a good week for golf this week although a little cold we’ve seen some nice scores coming in, we ended the week with the Christmas Hamper sponsored by Boyce’s Centra, and the final Game in the Golfer of the year competition which ended up really close between Andy, Billy & Colin. As this will be one of my last results post as Pro. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for all their support over the last year. And wish my successor all the best for the coming year.21/11/2012Wednesday Open Stableford 1st Gerard Dickey 41 pts.2nd Hugh Ferry 40 pts.Gross Donal Boyle 32 pts. bot3rd Patrick McGroddy 39 pts. bot 1st 9 MJ McGinley 21 pts. bot2nd 9 Clive Cowan 22 pts. botCss 37 pts.24/11/20124 BBB Stableford John Casey/Peadar Boyce 46 pts.Freddie Wilson/John McCaughlan 44 pts.Billy Griffin/John Chambers 43 pts. botn.c. 25/11/2012Xmas Hamper Stroke Boyce’s Centra1st Andy Murray 622nd Joe Terry 63Gross John Hanna 743rd Patrick Hunter 641st 9 Brian McGinley 312nd 9 Peadar Curran 32 botCss 6627/11/2012Golfer of the Year 20121st Andy Murray 4272nd Billy Griffin 420 bot3rd Colin Higgs 420n.c.GOLF NEWS: DUNFANAGHY CLUB NOTES was last modified: November 27th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DUNFANAGHY GOLF CLUB NOTES
Naomh Ultan GAA NotesRoyal Flush Lotto –The Royal Flush Draw results for the weekend of the 27/07/2014 were 2, 6, 9 & 16, there was no winner of this week’s jackpot. Consolation prizes went to Kieran Meehan, Damien McCallig & Carol McGinley.40th Anniversary Celebrations – Saturday August 9th marks the 40th anniversary celebrations of CLG Naomh Ultan. A Meeting will take place this Thursday upstairs in the clubhouse at 8:30pm to discuss the event. There will also be a clean up around the club grounds this Saturday, August 2nd at 10pm. All will to give a helping hand for a short while please attend. Also please note that on the 9th of August during the celebrations the All-Ireland Quarter-Final featuring Donegal will be shown live upstairs in the clubhouse.Adult Football –The Seniors had another good away championship victory on Saturday last beating Robert Emmets 2-11 1-09. They have no fixture now for the next two weekends. Our Reserve side have recently drawn Naomh Padraig, Lifford in the Junior B championship quarter-finals, that fixture will be played out soon.Underage Football –Our U12 side had a mixed weekend, on Saturday last they lost out away to Glen quite heavily on a scoreline of 3-8 to 0-4. However the boys and girls picked themselves up, making the short journey to Fintra and beating neighbours Killybegs on a scoreline 3-7 to 2-8. A great second half display to take the two points, well done to all involved.SuperValu Kits for Clubs –Rooney’s SuperValu, Killybegs and Kavanagh’s SuperValu, Donegal Town have offered to help our club receive a free O’Neill’s training equipment kit through SuperValu Kits for Clubs. Every time you spend €20 in a single transaction in the above two stores you will receive 1 voucher. The till operator will hand you this pre-printed voucher along with your till receipt at time of payment. Drop this voucher in the Club entry box located at the customer service desk in store. When 1,000 vouchers have been collected, SuperValu will send our Club the kit for free.GAA NEWS: NAOMH ULTAN SET FOR 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS NEXT SATURDAY was last modified: July 29th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:GAANaomh UltanNoticesSport
CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceThe Beyhive needs to take it down a few notches when it comes to Nicole Curran.That being said, my real name is Joe Schmoe, and not that nom de plume that you see on top of this article.Curran, the wife of Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob, said she has been harassed online by Beyoncé’s faithful and rabid fans and as a result has disabled one of her social media accounts, according to ESPN senior writer Ramona …