The powerful Roosters back-rower was the logical choice following the representative retirement of long-serving Origin talisman Paul Gallen.The 24-year-old trails only Brad Fittler and current Origin coach Laurie Daley in terms of the youngest Blues Origin skippers but is a natural leader who has long seemed old beyond his years.Addressing media at The Star following the team announcement on Monday night, Cordner said the honour “means the world” to him.And his first call once he spoke to Daley was to his father Chris.”I was on my way home from the [Bulldogs] game [Sunday] night, driving a few of the boys and Laurie’s name came up on the screen,” Cordner said.”I gave him a call back and he let me know he wanted me to be captain. I can’t really describe how I felt at the time. It’s an unbelievable honour. For me it’s one of the highest honours you can get, captaining your state.”Cordner also confessed to a little relief at finally getting the confirmation after his name became linked more strongly to the role amid a host of other worthy candidates such as Aaron Woods, Wade Graham and Josh Jackson.”Just to find out from Laurie was an unbelievable feeling. A lot of joy, maybe a few tears. It’s something I’m very proud of,” he said.”I called my dad straight away…” Cordner’s voice trailed off in a wave of emotion before he added “I need to get myself together a bit! He’s been my number one supporter all my life. He’s just super proud.”Daley said he had no doubts over Cordner’s leadership credentials.”I spoke to Boyd [Sunday] night and asked him whether he’d want the job,” Daley said.”Not all guys are suited to it. Not all guys want the responsibility but he was quite excited and happy that I chose him.”I think he’s a great fit for us because he’s the next generation of player coming through.”Any doubts over Cordner’s passion and dedication for the sky blue jersey – if they existed – could be erased by watching a replay of Game One last year. Cordner broke a sesamoid bone in his toe scoring a crucial first half-try – his team’s only points of the game. The injury put him out for six weeks, including the remainder of the Origin series, but he still finished the match, which ended in a tight 6-4 loss to the Maroons.Cordner said he will look to take some lessons from other leaders he has played under, including the Blues’ most recent skipper who played through plenty of adversity himself through a rugged Origin career.”Past leaders that I’ve had, especially Gal is someone that I looked up to coming through,” Cordner said.”The way he went about his business, he’s tough, he’s resilient, he led by his actions. he’s been an inspiration for this team for a while now and that’s something I looked up to so hopefully I can take some parts out of that and continue to grow myself and find my way.”This will be a younger NSW team than last year with debutant Nathan Peats taking over from veteran Robbie Farah at hooker and 23-year-old Manly tyro Jake Trbojevic’s bench debut essentially taking Gallen’s place in the 17 via a reshuffle from Game 3 last year.”It’s a great team,” Cordner said.”Everyone that’s been selected has been in some great form this year.”Our debutants, Jake Trbojevic and Nathan Peats, they’ve been knocking on the door for a while now and deserve their chance.” Photo: NRL (NSW captain Boyd Cordner will make his first Origin appearance in Game One since the corresponding fixture last year).
– but not before Opposition scrutinyA total sum of $4.7 billion was approved for Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) following an examination of the expenditure for the region in the Committee of Supply in the National Assembly on Wednesday.Current and capital expenditures were approved for regional administration and finance ($255.3 million); agriculture ($395.9 million); infrastructure ($197.4 million);Opposition MP, Colin Croaleducation delivery ($2.1 billion); and health services ($1 billion).However, Opposition Member of Parliament (MP) Colin Croal highlighted a massive increase in security services from $28.8 million to $37.7 million, under the 2018 Budget for Region Two.Communities Minister Ronald Bulkan conceded that the increase was substantial but explained that it was due to an additional security at the State House annex in the region.In addition to that, it also caters for additional security at the residence of the Regional Executive Officer (REO) who has reportedly been in constant fights with elected regional officials.Minister Bulkan also told the Committee of Supply that several schools will now have full-time security services and that the newly contracted security firm offers an increased hourly rate of $350.The Minister emphasised that there is an increased need for security at regional facilities throughout the region, which is the main reason for the budgetary allocation in 2018.Opposition MP Cornell Damon also drilled the Minister on the procurement process used to hire a company to assist with the repairs of vehicles belonging to the region.Bulkan admitted that selective tendering was used to outsource a company to undertake this duty and the Opposition MP requested that the documents – as it relates to this transaction – be provided.Damon also zeroed in on the increases in clerical and office support staff, from 57 to 66; technical and craft skilled, from 304 to 321; as well as semi-skilled and unskilled staffers, from 204 to 265.Where there was a decrease in contract staff and an increase in the monies allocated, Bulkan explained that the increase was to cater for annualisation of salary increases.Meanwhile, Opposition MP Gail Teixeira also questioned Government’s spending. She pointed out that $15.8 million was spent on maintenance of buildings, when only $4.1 million was budgeted.The Opposition Chief Whip was quick to ask where the money came from. Bulkan responded by saying that t was taken from sums budgeted for education delivery, which Teixeira noted was highly irregular.Bulkan was again pressed to answer several pertinent questions in relation to medical supplies within the region, but this time by Opposition MP, Dr Vishwa Mahadeo, a former regional health official.Dr Mahadeo claimed that during visits to the region, there were always complaints about the shortage of essential drugs. He asked Bulkan whether the $186.1 million budgeted for drugs and medical supplies was spent.The Minister stated that $17 million is unspent. He told the Opposition MP that a reconciliation process is currently ongoing. A truck will be purchased by the region to uplift and transport drugs and medical supplies.Concerns were also raised about fuel being sourced for the support of generators which will provide standby electricity services to healthcare facilities, particularly at the Oscar Joseph and Suddie hospitals.The House was also told that $40 million will be expended for drainage and irrigation, construction and rehabilitation throughout the region.
Two bandits were nabbed on Thursday night by ranks of the “C” Division after they had robbed a businessman.The two suspects, aged 17 and 20, were captured on the Vryheid’s Lust Railway Embankment, East Coast Demerara (ECD) at about 22:00h.Reports are that the bandits, who were armed, pounced on the businessman who was at the time heading home, and relieved him of some $100,000 in cash and jewellery.Guyana Times understands the bandits then jumped on a motorcycle, but it subsequently crashed, and they were apprehended by ranks of a Police Anti-Crime Patrol which was in the area.A 9MM Glock pistol, three live rounds of matching ammunition and a separate magazine were found on the bandits.Both suspects are currently patients at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) under Police guard.
BCB/Elizabeth Styles U21 Tournament…– Albion to face Blairmont in other semiThe Rose Hall Town (RHT) Gizmos and Gadgets Under-21 Cricket Team on Sunday advanced to the finals of the Elizabeth Styles Under-21 Tournament of the Berbice Cricket Board (BCB).Kevin SinclairThey easily crushed Tucber Park Cricket Club by eight wickets at the Area ‘H’ Ground, while Albion Community Centre Cricket Club was able to fight back against Young Warriors Cricket Club to clinch a semifinal date with archrival Blairmont Community Centre Cricket Club.RHT won the toss and surprisingly elected to field, despite all the players having been involved in the BCB/New York Business Group Under-19 finals less that twelve hours prior.Tucber Park were dismissed for a meagre 104 from 43.2 overs, with only Steve Deonarine (24), Martin Singh (18), and Abdul Ramsammy (11) reaching double figures, as left arm spinners Simon Naidu and Jeremy Sandia took 3 – 14 and 3 – 22, respectively. National Under-19 off-spinner Junior Sinclair had 2 – 18, while Kevin Sinclair claimed 1 – 20.A confident RHT, spearheaded by their captain Sinclair, raced to victory in just 8.5 overs to end on 106 for 2. Kevin cracked a brutal 58 before he was dismissed by Martin Singh with the scores level. He included six huge sixes and four sweetly timed boundaries in his brief innings.His opening partner and fellow national player Junior Sinclair supported with 40 as the pair added 83 for the first wicket in just 5.5 overs.National Under-15 players Mahendra Gopilall and Jonathan Rampersaud eventually took their side over the line.At the Canje Ground, Albion Community Centre Cricket Club were dismissed for 99 in 23.3 overs, with Ramesh Kasinauth (12) and Kevin Umroa (15) being the only batsmen to reach double figures. Dilshan Mc Donald contributed 3 – 13 and Trevon Stanislaus 4 – 11 for the Young Warriors Cricket Club.In response, despite a fighting 26 from national under-19 player Alex Algoo, Young Warriors Cricket Club were bowled out for 45.Left arm Mahendra Chaitnarine had the remarkable figures of 7 – 13 from nine tight overs, while Gourav Ramesh supported with 3 – 18.Albion Community Centre Cricket Club and Blairmont Community Centre Cricket Club will clash on Saturday at the Blairmont Cricket Ground to decide the second finalist.
0Shares0000Soares (L) celebrates a goal as Porto lead the Portuguese league by two points with a game in hand © AFP / MIGUEL RIOPALISBON, Portugal, Feb 11 – Brazilian Tiquinho Soares scored twice as Porto warmed up for Wednesday’s Champions League tie against Liverpool with a 4-0 thumping of Chaves on Sunday to retake top spot in Portugal from Benfica.Sergio Conceicao’s side had beaten Sporting Lisbon in the first leg of the Portuguese Cup semi-finals in midweek, when Soares scored the winner. Former Nantes coach Conceicao named a strong side for the trip to Chaves and was rewarded as two first-half strikes from Soares ensured Porto had to waste little energy ahead of the last-16, first leg clash with Liverpool.“We played a game well above average and I’m happy with the performance of all the players,” said ex-Portugal winger Conceicao.“We must continue towards our goal, which is the league. We give priority to the league and that is our main aim.”Soares made the most of a rare league start with Vincent Aboubakar rested, with his second goal a magnificent first-time volley.Moussa Marega grabbed his 16th league goal of the season after half-time to wrap up the points, although the Malian international is still searching for his first Champions League goal.Sergio Oliveira completed the scoring late on, as Porto moved two points clear of Benfica with a game in hand.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
Arsenal take on Bayern Munich on Tuesday night looking to kick-start their Champions League campaign.The German giants are favourites to triumph at the Emirates after a sensational run of form which has seen them win all 11 of their matches so far this season.But Gunners great Liam Brady insists Pep Guardiola’s men are NOT unbeatable and reckons his old club can claim a crucial victory if they produce a repeat of their brilliant performance against Manchester United.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, Brady said: “If they turn up and play like they did against Manchester United, we can beat them, and we have got to believe that.“You can build teams up and think they are unbeatable and I don’t think Bayern are in that situation. We have got to believe we can do it.”Arsene Wenger’s side head into the clash with Bayern bottom of Group F having suffered shock defeats to Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb.Brady believes they are still well capable of reaching the knockout stages, and claims they need just one win from their back-to-back clashes against Bayern to keep their hopes alive.“Over the next two games we have got Bayern back-to-back and we need three points from somewhere,” he said.“We can beat Zagreb when we play them again and we can beat Olympiakos when we play them again so if we were to get nine that would give us every chance of getting through in second place behind Bayern.“But somewhere along the line, we have to win a game against Bayern.”
5. Arsenal’s value for 2016 is $2.02 billion 8. Liverpool’s value for 2016 stands at $1.55 billion according to Forbes – take a look at the full list of the world’s most valuable football clubs by clicking the arrow above, right 8 8 8 8 3. Manchester United’s value for 2016 is $3.32 billion 8 1. Real Madrid’s value for 2016 is $3.65 billion 8 4. Bayern Munich’s value for 2016 is $2.68 billion 8 2. Barcelona’s value for 2016 is $3.55 billion 8 6. Manchester City’s value for 2016 is $1.92 billion 7. Chelsea’s value for 2016 is $1.67 billion Money, money, money – it’s what keeps football ticking.From players’ wages to mammoth transfer fees, the financial side of the game really gets us talking.And illustrating the importance of money matters, American business magazine Forbes has released its 2016 list of the most valuable sports teams in the world.Included are the top eight football clubs with the highest value – check out which teams have made it by viewing the slideshow above.
2 2 Sweden will meet England at 3pm, on Saturday July 7 in a game you can hear live on talkSPORT.The former Manchester United and Inter Milan striker started the jovial banter by egging the 43-year-old into a bet via Instagram.He wrote on his official page: “Yo David Beckham, if England wins I buy you dinner where ever you want in the world, but if Sweden wins, you buy me what ever I want from IKEA OK?He put a rather old photo up of the duo from their international days, with the former Ajax hitman tangling with Becks.Beckham, a proud Englishman, was more than happy to respond to Zlatan, even upping the odds on the striker.He wrote in a caption underneath the picture: “If Sweden win, I will personally take you to IKEA and buy you whatever you need for your new mansion in LA.“But when England win, I want you to come and watch an England game at Wembley wearing an England shirt eating fish and chips at half time…”Clearly confident of Sweden’s chances against Gareth Southgate’s side, Ibrahimovic agreed! Ibrahimovic and Beckham tussle with the ball back in November 2001 David Beckham has made a bet with LA Galaxy striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic ahead of Sweden’s clash with England.The former Three Lions skipper was eager to prove to his former retirement that, even in retirement, he is still as competitive as ever. Sweden reached the final eight of the competition by showing their resilience against European rivals Switzerland in a 1-0 win.For England, it was a far more painful matter as they required a nervy penalty shootout win over Colombia to reach the quarter-finals.talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network. The bet is on!
Fianna Fáil Spokesperson on Children Charlie McConalogue TD has called for a full reversal of the Government’s Budget decision to dismantle the provision of guidance counsellors at second level.The move will result in the loss of guidance counsellors at secondary schools in Co Donegal and across the country.The Dáil will today vote on a Fianna Fáil motion condemning this Budget measure, which amounts to an increase in class sizes at second level. Deputy McConalogue said: “Minister Quinn has already admitted that he is out of practice and made mistakes in last month’s budget.“It is now time for him to realise that removing the special provision for guidance counsellors at second level is one of them. This is an increase in class sizes through the back door and will result in 700 secondary schools around the country losing qualified guidance counsellors.“Under Minister Quinn’s plans, all secondary schools in Donegal and across the country will now be forced to include guidance counsellors within their current teacher allocation.“Make no mistake about it; this is a cut to teacher numbers and an increase in class sizes. It means that schools will now be forced to choose between either cutting their guidance counsellor service or dropping another subject, leading to a reduced subject choice. It is a lose-lose situation all around. “Guidance counsellors provide a critical service in encouraging students to choose appropriate education and career pathways and also offer advice and support relating to a range of personal issues. They are professionally trained to provide far more than career advice, with most guidance counsellors acting as a support to more vulnerable students.“I am urging Minister Quinn to do the right thing and acknowledge that this is a particularly damaging mistake that must be reversed. Government TDs, including my Donegal North East colleague Joe McHugh, will tonight have the opportunity to stand up for their local schools levels and class sizes.” MCCONALOGUE CALLS FOR RETENTION OF GUIDANCE COUNSELLORS FOR DONEGAL SCHOOLS was last modified: January 18th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deputy charlie mcconalogueGUIDANCE COUNSELLORS
WOODLAND HILLS – As Pierce College reaps its first produce in years, administrators plan to revive its alumni association to sow support for campus programs. The school plans to organize some of the more than 500,000 Pierce College Brahma alumni into a potent force for fundraising and support. Current alumni haven’t met in more than a decade. “We want to mobilize the alumni to know that (Pierce) is an ongoing resource, to know it’s for their kids and their kids’ kids,” said Dennis Washburn, director of the Foundation for Pierce College. “We have a lot of low-hanging fruit – a lot of people want to contribute.” Washburn said the college seeks “a real sparkplug” to head the long-defunct Pierce College Alumni Association, which would allow former students to better network and access campus job placement centers, he said. It would also grant alumni “special incentives” to campus concerts and lectures, as well as use of such facilities as the library, tennis courts, pool and gymnasium. Those interested in the Pierce College Alumni Association can call (818) 710-4206, or e-mail: email@example.com. Dana Bartholomew, (818) 713-3730 firstname.lastname@example.org AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!